Hole-in-the-Donut Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Hole in the Donut In Lieu Fee Mitigation Project?

The HID was established, under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act, in 1996, through the issuance of U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE) permit #SAJ-1993-01691 and under the Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Mitigation Banking Statute (F.S. 373.4135) through the issuance of Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) Permit # 132416479, in 1995.

These permits authorized the restoration work, and described performance standards, monitoring, management requirements, and the ability to transfer palustrine emergent mitigation credits which satisfy both the state and federal mitigation requirements of third parties (Permittees).

What is the service area for the HID?

The service area is most of Miami-Dade County, and a portion of Broward County, an area of approximately 1,517,000 acres. The service area does not include any saline or tidally influenced wetlands or barrier islands.

How does the credit transaction process work?

The HID may transfer credits to a Permittee once they have regulatory approval to use the HID mitigation project to fulfill the mitigation requirements according to one or more Permittee regulatory permits.

Permitees can reserve credits if they have at least one permit or permit application number from one or more of the following regulatory agencies for an individual project with unavoidable impacts to wetlands: (i) the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE), (ii) the Miami-Dade County Regulatory and Economic Resources (RER), (iii) the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD), (iv) the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) and (v) the Broward County Department of Environmental Protection and Growth Management.

What is the difference between state and federal wetland mitigation credits?

The term “credit(s)” refers to both federal credits, based on the uniform mitigation assessment method (UMAM credits) and the state and local credits based on the ratio assessment method (acre credits). The Permittee has the responsibility to provide to the HID both their federal mitigation requirements in UMAM credits and their state mitigation requirements in acre credits. The regulatory agencies using these assessment methods may differ on the maximum number of credits required to fulfill the Permittee’s mitigation requirements. When there is a difference in the amount of mitigation required between the federal and state assessments, the Permittee should request the assessment with the highest mitigation requirement. This amount will then address both the federal and state mitigation requirements. As a note the Permittee may find it helpful to know that one (1) federal UMAM credit is equal to 2.5471 state acre credits.

How much do mitigation credits cost?

The current cost of one (1) federal mitigation UMAM credit is $69,000.00. The current cost of one (1) state mitigation acre credit is $27,089.63. The cost of mitigation at the HID is governed by the individual agency (FDEP and ACOE) with the highest determination of full cost accounting. The cost of mitigation at the HID is subject to annual accounting reviews with the ACOE and bi-annual (2 year) accounting reviews with FDEP. So, periodically, as a result of these reviews, the cost of mitigation at the HID may change.

How do I reserve mitigation credits?

Download and fill out the HID application form, provide copies of the regulatory permits (if you have received them) or permit application numbers, and return these documents to the HID by emailing ever_hid_credit_application@nps.gov. Once HID has received these documents, a reservation letter will be sent to the Permittee. The reservation letter will summarize the information as described on the Permittee’s application form and assign an HID reference number. The Permittee should refer to this reference number when inquiring about their reservation or credit transactions. The reservation letter is valid for 6 months.

What if my reservation is about to expire?

The HID does not provide notification that reservation letter are nearing expiration. The Permittee may request one 6 month extension/renewal of the reservation letter. All obligations, terms and conditions of the original reservation will remain in effect with the exception of the cost of mitigation. The renewed reservation will reflect the cost of mitigation at the date of renewal. See also “How much do mitigation credits cost?”

If the reservation expires, the HID retains the credits and those credits can then be made available for another project during an open application period. The HID bears no responsibility to provide mitigation credits after a reservation has expired. If the reservation has expired, the Permittee will have to reapply for a credit reservation.

Reservations will not be held for more than 12 months (6 months initial reservation + additional 6 months with an approved extension).

What if the number of mitigation credits changes after I have made a credit reservation?

If within the 6 month reservation period the regulatory agencies determine that less or more mitigation is required than is included in the reservation, the Permittee may notify the HID and modify the number of mitigation credits reserved. If additional mitigation credits are not available, the HID bears no responsibility to provide additional mitigation credits and the Permittee may fulfill their additional mitigation requirements elsewhere or elect to withdraw their reservation in its entirety.

If the Permittee withdraws their reservation the reserved mitigation credits are retained by the HID.

How do I pay for my reserved mitigation credits?

The only accepted forms of payment are money orders or certified checks sent to:

National Park Foundation
Attn: Olatoun Cole
Assistant Accounting Manager
1110 Vermont Avenue NW, Suite 200
Washington, DC 20005

You will receive a credit transaction form from the HID with your reservation letter showing the amount due. To pay for your reserved credits, send the credit transaction form with your payment to the National Park Foundation. If the credit transaction form does not accompany your payment, the National Park Foundation will not process your payment. Once the National Park Foundation receives the payment and credit transaction form, they will issue a receipt to the Permittee and send a copy to the HID.

Once a reservation letter is issued, the National Park Foundation must receive full payment within 6 months of the date shown on the reservation letter. If the full payment is not received within this time period, all commitments set forth in the reservation letter will be deemed null and void. No refunds of all or any part of the payment will be made.

How can I get more information about the Hole in the Donut In Lieu Fee Mitigation Project?

There are many links to more information on this page. If your question is not answered here, please send us an email to ever_hid_credit_application@nps.gov. Our mailing address is:

HID Mitigation Bank
Everglades National Park
40001 SR 9336
Homestead, FL 33034

Last updated: September 18, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

40001 State Road 9336
Homestead, FL 33034


(305) 242-7700

Contact Us