Acequia Madre Mission de Valero, Bexar County, Texas
The Spanish and their Indian charges built this irrigation ditch (acequia) after the founding of San Antonio in 1718. Construction of the acequia began a year later. Hand dug and made of dressed limestone, the acequia diverted water from San Antonio River through agricultural fields that belonged to San Antonio de Valero Mission. Acequia Madre de Valero was the initial phase of what became a 45-mile acequia network put in place to provide water for the missions and their agricultural endeavors.
Time period: 1690s
A Photographic Journey of the Trail - NEXT IMAGE
Last updated: February 24, 2015