Review Design Standards General Statements before utilizing this web page.
- IBC 2015
- IEBC 2015
- ASCE 7-10
- ACI 318-14
- ACI 301-10
- ACI 530-13
- AISC Steel Construction Manual, 14th edition
- AISC 341-10 Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings
- AITC Timber Construction Manual, 6th edition
- AFPA SDPWS-2008
- Floor Live Load: IBC 2015
- Roof Live Load: IBC 2015
- Snow Load: IBC 2015 as required for building location, with consideration of:
- Unbalanced snow load
- Snow drifting at lower roofs and projections
- Roof valley snow drifting
- Sliding snow
- Wind Load: ASCE 7-10 as required for building location
- Seismic: ASCE 7-10 as required for building location
- Vehicle Bridges: HS20
- Pedestrian Bridges and Boardwalks: 85 psf
- Frost Depth: As required for building location
- Concrete shall be assigned an Exposure Category per ACI 318, Table 22.214.171.124.
- Concrete mix designs shall not exceed paste volume of 25%.
- Minimum slab-on-grade thickness 4" at thinnest point (typically at floor drains)
- Minimum compressive strength at 28 days: as required by design, but not less than 3000 psi
- Minimum 15% flyash content
- Reinforcing steel: ASTM A615 Grade 60
- Provide control joints and/or adequate reinforcing steel at re-entrant corners in slabs-on-grade.
- Use of staggered or offset control joints in slabs-on-grade is not permitted.
- Use ACI 360R-10 for slab-on-grade design.
- Concrete masonry minimum f'm: 1500 psi
- Reinforcing Steel: ASTM A615 Grade 60
- Below grade walls and retaining walls grouted solid.
- Provide control joints near building corners and as recommended by NCMA 10-2B.
- W Shapes: ASTM A992, Fy = 50 ksi
- S, M, C and MC Shapes: ASTM A36, Fy =36 ksi, or A572 Grade 50
- HP Shapes: ASTM A572 Grade 50
- Angles, Plates and Bars: ASTM A36, Fy = 36 ksi, or A572 Grade 50
- HSS (Rectangular): ASTM A500 Grade C, Fy = 50 ksi
- HSS (Round): ASTM A500 Grade C, Fy =46 ksi
- Steel Pipe: ASTM A53 Grade B, Fy = 35 ksi
- Bolts: ASTM F3125 Grade A325 or Grade A490
- Nuts: ASTM A563
- Washers: ASTM F436
- Anchor Rods: ASTM F1554 Grade 55
- "L" and "J" shaped anchor rods shall not be used to resist tension.
- Weld Electrodes: FEXX = 70 ksi
- Minimum roof sheathing thickness: 5/8"
- Minimum wall sheathing thickness: 1/2"
- Framing Lumber (depending on location, availability, and structural requirements)
- Southern Pine No.2 or better
- Hem Fir No.2 or better
- Douglas Fir Larch No.2 or better
- Provide blocking between roof framing members at bearing locations and at diaphragm boundaries.
- Provide plywood or OSB sheathing over heavy timber decking to create a diaphragm.
- Whenever possible, engineered lumber (Glulams, LVL's) shall be used in lieu of solid sawn members 8x8 and larger.
- Use of pentachlorophenol pressure treatment for glulams is not acceptable.
- ASCE 41-13 Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Existing Buildings
- EO 12699 - Seismic Safety of Federal and Federally Assisted or Regulated New Building Construction (Revoked)
- EO 12941 - Seismic Safety of Existing Federally Owned or Leased Buildings (Revoked)
- EO 13717 - Establishing a Federal Earthquake Risk Management Standard