Permits are highly recommended for all overnight Wilderness users. Filling out a permit provides us information in case of a search and rescue, and provides you with a handy list of rules you must follow while camping in Death Valley.
Backcountry permits are optional, but it's recommended that folks submit their permit at least 3 days in advance of their trip so we can look them over and email permit holders back if necessary if information is missing.
Submitting a permit with your trip itinerary WILL NOT initiate a search and rescue if you are overdue. Tell a friend or family member when you expect to return from the Wilderness/backcountry. They can contact Death Valley’s Emergency Dispatch at (760) 786-2330 if you do not return from your trip. Prior to your trip, please review our safety information.
Only one permit is needed per group.
Permits do not give you permission to camp anywhere within the park! It is your reponsibility to know where camping is permitted. The Backcountry Camping page and Backcountry & Wilderness Access Map are helpful planing tools.
Guided trips and other for-profit groups need a Commercial Use Authorization to do business wtihin the park.
How to fill out a permit:
Please note the email address is for permit collection only.
- Download and fill out this form completely. Leaving fields blank or location as "undecided" does not help us find you in an emergency!
- Email the completed form to DEVA_Backcountry_Permits@nps.gov.
- You will receive an automatic email reply with helpful information (also check spam email folder).
- Print a copy of the completed form and keep it with you while at Death Valley NP, or keep a saved digital copy with you on a smart device.
- Permits can also be filled out in person at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center or Stovepipe Wells Ranger Station during business hours.
For additional information or trip planning, please call (760) 786-3280, 7 days a week 8:30 am - 4:30 pm PST. This is the most effective way to obtain timely information for your wilderness trip.