Devils Tower National Monument has one visitor center. The visitor center was completed in 1935 with the help of the Civilian Conservation Corps. It was constructed from ponderosa pine logs and other local materials, and was orginially designed as an administration building for the park.
Visitor Center History
When Newell Joyner became custodian—the 1930s equivalent of superintendent—of Devils Tower National Monument in 1932, the young park had a residence building and two shed-like structures. The work programs of the New Deal era would soon be created, and Joyner immediately lobbied for the Tower to be host to a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp.
Although the visitor center has been updated during its 80-plus year history, in many ways it still resembles the same structure the CCC helped complete in 1935. Today, the building is on the National Register of Historic Places, and is maintained as a historic structure. In 1936, a painting by Herbert Collins was completed and placed above the fireplace inside the building. This painting, which depicts an oral history of the Cheyenne Indians, stayed in the building until 2017 when it was moved to the park's present-day museum storehouse at Mount Rushmore. A replica now hangs in its place.
Last updated: August 22, 2021