|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Morgan Warthin, 907-644-3418
Another fire was detected in Denali NP. Fires are not common before green up at Denali NP. If there is one, pre-green up fire season typically occurs prior to June 1st. Based on data collected between 1950 – 2008 23% of Denali’s pre-green up fires have occurred this year!
Live Trap Lake Fire – REF# 174, EXA6
- Reported on May 25, 2009
- Located about 27 miles south of Lake Minchumina and about 100 miles southwest of Denali Headquarters
- Ignited by lightning
- Burning in a Limited Management Option
- Approximately 1,500 acres as of 5/25/09
- Currently NPS staff are assessing potential at risk structures
Toklat River #1 Fire -REF# 146, EW70
- 200 acres, 5% active as of 5/25/09
Toklat River #2 Fire – REF # 150, EW74
- 370 acres, 10 % active as of 5/25/09
Two NPS cabins are about 3 to 4 miles away from the fires. Both cabins are Firewise thanks to the efforts of NPS fire management staff a few years ago. Staff reduced the vegetation around the cabins to mitigate the wildland fire risk. Yesterday and today staff installed sprinkler kits on both cabins in preparation for possible fire growth.
Visit http://www.nps.gov/dena/parkmgmt/firemanagement.htm for more information.
For More Information,