Environmental Assessment for C-Camp Improvements
Contact: Kris Fister, 907-683-9583
The National Park Service has released for public comment an Environmental Assessment which evaluates the impacts of constructing the following facilities at the C-Camp area of Denali National Park and Preserve:
1. A new Emergency Services Building
2. Upgrading employee housing, parking, and common facilities for residents in C-Camp
3. Separating the maintenance functions and traffic from the housing areas
4. Expanding the C-Camp maintenance area and improving maintenance, storage, and parking facilities
5. Replacing the vehicle fueling system in the maintenance area of C-Camp and remediating source-contaminated soils
6. Providing capability for propane vehicle fueling
7. Upgrading utilities
8. Realigning a section of the Rock Creek Trail to minimize intersections with an existing power line
The NPS is evaluating a no-action alternative and three action alternatives for this project. Under the no-action alternative, existing facilities would remain and existing activities would continue.
Under Alternative 2 a new road parallel to the east side of the residential area would be built. The Emergency Services Building would be constructed near the C-Camp entrance. Utilities, parking, and cabins would be upgraded.
Under Alternative 3 access to all facilities would remain via the existing road. Other elements would be similar to Alternative 2.
Under Alternative 4 a new road from the main park road to the maintenance area would be built east of the existing C-Camp area. A spur road from the new road would provide separate access to the residence area. Other elements would be similar to Alternative 2.
Printed copies of the EA will be distributed to local libraries, visitor centers, and those who request printed copies. The EA is posted on the new NPS public comment website at: http://parkplanning.nps.gov It will also be posted on the Denali National Park and Preserve web site at: http://www.nps.gov/dena/parkmgmt/environassessment.htm .
The EA will be available for public review from August 24 until September 22, 2006. If you would like to comment in writing on the project, please submit your comments to Superintendent, Denali National Park and Preserve, P.O. Box 9, Denali Park, AK 99755. Comments may be faxed to (907) 683-9612, or may be e-mailed by going to the new NPS public comment website at: http://parkplanning.nps.gov .
The NPS will make a decision about the proposed upgrades soon after the close of the public comment period.
If you have any questions about the EA, please call the Superintendent’s office at (907) 683-9581, or the park’s Compliance Program Manager, Steve Carwile, at (907) 644-3612.