Please note that a candidate has already been chosen for 2019 and the earliest date that new candidates will be considered is 2020.
Craters of the Moon is seeking candidates for the park’s Artist-in-Residence (AiR) program. Residencies generally run 2-4 weeks and can occur at any time of year. Start and end dates are negotiable and park housing* is provided.
The AiR would provide:
· at least one demonstration or program for the public on their medium, and;
· one work of art (or high resolution copy) donated to the park.
The balance of the AiR’s time could be spent at their discretion, developing works of art and practicing their craft in a one-of-a-kind location.
*Depending on the time of the year, housing offered may be a shared space with other park staff.
Who May Apply
Artists of any medium are welcome to apply. This includes but is not limited to: writers, sculptors, photographers, painters, musicians, and composers.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted by email throughout the year but submissions for the coming season are due on January 31. Please include the following:
· a cover letter describing the importance of Craters of the Moon to your artwork as well as your proposal to meet the park’s AiR program requirements;
· a brief resume including your professional works;
· a sample of artistic work (e.g., 4-6 images for visual artists, 5 pages of written works for writers, links to performances etc.)
The selected artist will be chosen by a panel of park and partner staff in February. Selections are based on artistic merit, purpose of proposed artwork, ability to share with the public and overall suitability for a national park residency.
Please submit all application materials electronically to:
For more information: