Commercial Use Authorizations

Any individual, company, or group wanting to provide commercial activities in Crater Lake National Park must first obtain a Commercial Use Authorizaton (CUA). New applicants should contact the Commercial Services Office to discuss their proposed operation before submitting an application. CUAs are issued for the following activities:
  • Hiking/Walking Tours
  • Bicycle Tours
  • Camping - Front or Backcountry
  • Photography Instruction
  • Guided Birdwatching or Nature Study
  • Skiing/Snowshoeing Tours
  • Snowmobile/Snowcoach Tours
  • Bus, Van, or Auto Tours (see Road-Based Tours below)

CUA Application Process

In 2019, Crater Lake National Park implemented changes to the CUA program. Both new and prior CUA holders should read the New CUA Applicant Letter to be sure they understand the new procedures and fee schedule before submitting an application.

A completed application package will include the following:
  • Cover letter describing proposed operations (trip schedule and itinerary, estimated group size, types of motorized equipment that will be used, description of client charges, etc)
  • Completed and signed CUA Application Form
  • Current brochure, marketing materials, or link to promotional website
  • Guide names and training certificates, as required by Attachment A of the application form
  • Proof of commercial general liability and commercial automobile insurance in an amount sufficient to meet the requirements listed in the application form
  • Visitor Acknowledgement of Risk form (Optional, but this is the only language that may be used to address risk while operating in the park. Waivers or indemnification agreements may not be used for any activities taking place inside the park.)
  • $300 non-refundable Application Fee, payable by check made out to "National Park Service"
Prior CUA holders must also submit the CUA Annual Report and Management Fee for their prior year's operations in the park, due by January 31.

Completed application forms and supporting documents may be sent to:

Crater Lake National Park
Attn: CUA Coordinator
PO Box 7
Crater Lake, OR 97604
e-mail us

Road-Based Tours

Road-based tours are defined as “one or more persons traveling on an improved roadway on an itinerary that a company or individual has packaged and priced for leisure/recreational purposes." At Crater Lake, tours are considered "road-based" if they provide no visitor services other than those incidental to road-based travel in a NPS unit, including stops at visitor centers, scenic overlooks, lodging, etc.

The NPS is standardizing road-based commercial tour CUA requirements and fees agency-wide. Road-based commercial tour operators will be required to obtain a CUA for each NPS unit in which they operate. The responsibility for obtaining a road-based commercial tour CUA will fall on the company that packaged, priced, and sold the tour. A chartered motorcoach company providing transportation services only does not need a road-based commercial tour CUA, unless they are also packaging and advertising tours in the park.

Road-based tour CUAs will be issued in one-year increments, with an annual $300 Application Fee. Operators are required to pay the individual entrance fee for each person on board, with the exception of the guides and drivers.

See the NPS Road-Based Tour FAQ for more information on how the new policies will be implemented throughout the National Park Service.

The implementation of standardized Road-based Commercial Tour CUAs and fees is delayed and will not occur starting October 1, 2019, as originally announced. If you are a road-based tour provider, please contact the Commercial Services Office for the most up to date implementation schedule.


Contact the Commercial Services Office at 541-594-3002 or e-mail us.


Last updated: May 8, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Crater Lake National Park
PO Box 7

Crater Lake , OR 97604


(541) 594-3000

Contact Us