Cowpens National Battlefield is partnering with the Southern Campaigns of the American Revolution, the South Carolina Historical Society, and Wofford College to present a Revolutionary War Cavalry Conference on November 9-10, 2007. Superintendent Tim Stone said, “The National Park Service is honored to work with these organizations to co-sponsor an event of this caliber.” Held on the campus of Wofford College in Spartanburg, SC, the conference will cover multiple aspects of cavalry use in the Revolutionary War – training, equipment, tactics, and more.
Activities will include period music and a theatrical performance as well as informal discussions of cavalry in specific battles and campaigns, and opportunities to meet with others interested in the equestrian martial arts and sciences. In addition there will be evening activities both Friday and Saturday and optional tours of Ninety Six National Historic Site and Kings Mountain National Military Park on Thursday and Sunday. Several authors will have their books for sale and will be available to sign them during the weekend.
Conference Registration (per person):
- Full Registration, $195
- Friday: full day, reception, dinner, and keynote presentation, $100
- Saturday: full day, dinner, and entertainment, $100
- Friday evening only: reception, dinner, and keynote presentation, $65
- Saturday evening only: dinner and entertainment, $50
Full registration fees include the scholarly presentations, snacks, Friday evening reception, dinner, and keynote presentation, the cavalry demonstrations, battlefield tour, and the Saturday evening dinner and entertainment. Register by November 4, 2007.
Optional Pre- and Post Conference Bus Tours to Revolutionary War Sites:
- Thursday, November 8 - $40.00 per seat - Blackstock's Plantation - Musgrove Mill State Historic Site - Hammond's Old Store - Ninety Six National Historic Site
- Sunday, November 11 - $40.00 per seat - Cedar Spring (I & II) - Thompson's Peach Orchard - Wofford's Iron Works - Kings Mountain National Military Park
Registration for these bus tours are limited to 50 on a first come first served basis and include lunch and park admission.
Payment of all conference pre-registration fees may be made by check or credit card to the South Carolina Historical Society and mailed to 100 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401.
For more information or to register, please call Gloria Beitler at South Carolina Historical Society. Phone (843) 723-3225 ext. 11 or see the conference brochure at http://southerncampaign.org/cavconf/index.html.