|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Arlene Jackson, 970-858-3617 x363
Contact: Mark Davison, 970-858-3617 x312
Fruita, CO – Possibly two of the most scenic long distance runs in the country, winding through stunning canyons and geologic formations for which this area was preserved, the Rim Rock Run will be held on Saturday, November 3, 2018 in Colorado National Monument. This activity is under the authority of a special use permit issued to Colorado Mesa University (CMU). Proceeds from the event benefit the CMU Track & Cross Country scholarship program.
The marathon starts at 8:00 a.m., east of the intersection of South Camp Road and Monument Road, 0.8 miles outside the monument’s east entrance. Runners will enter the monument through the Grand Junction (east) entrance and exit at the Fruita (west) entrance. The finish will be in downtown Fruita.
The half marathon has a new starting location this year. The 300 athletes participating in the half marathon will be bussed to Saddlehorn Picnic Area. They will travel east on Rim Rock Drive for three miles and turn around at the Monument Canyon View overlook. They will then join the marathon runners following Rim Rock Drive, exit at the west entrance and finish in Fruita.
Rim Rock Drive will be open during the hours of the marathon, 8:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., with a few temporary closures to provide for the safety of the 500 expected runners and other road users such as motorists and bicyclists:
- The westbound traffic lane will closed to vehicle and bicycle traffic during the event. The westbound lane will be reserved for marathon runners. As the marathon progresses, the westbound lane will reopen for vehicle use in stages starting from the east entrance.
- There will be two short closures of eastbound Rim Rock Drive.
- Eastbound traffic exiting the monument through the Grand Junction entrance may experience a delay of approximately 20 minutes starting about 7:45 a.m.
- The eastbound traffic lane between the Visitor Center and Monument Canyon View will be closed from 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. The remainder of eastbound Rim Rock Drive will remain open.
- All facilities will remain open to the public including all scenic overlooks. Although there will be limited access to the trail head parking areas near the east entrance from 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m., the trails will remain open to hikers.
- Grand Junction to Glade Park traffic should plan to use Little Park Road between the hours of 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Glade Park to Grand Junction traffic can use either Little Park Road or Rim Rock Drive eastbound. Traffic traveling eastbound on Rim Rock Drive and exiting the monument through the Grand Junction entrance may encounter a 20 minute delay starting about 7:45 a.m. due to the start of the marathon.
- Two-way travel along Rim Rock Drive between the Grand Junction entrance and the Glade park turnoff (DS Road) will be restored at approximately 9:30 a.m.
Due to limited parking throughout the monument and the one-way traffic, spectators are encouraged to cheer all the athletes on at the finish line in Fruita.
For additional information regarding the Rim Rock Marathon, please visit www.rimrockmarathon.com.
Fall hours are now in effect at Colorado National Monument. The visitor center is open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily. For additional information please visit www.nps.gov/colm or call 970-858-3617, ext. 360.
Last updated: October 30, 2018