|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Rim Rock Marathon to occur Saturday, November 1, 2014
Fruita, Colorado - Possibly one of the most scenic marathons in the world winding through geologic canyons and formations for which this area was preserved, the Rim Rock Marathon will be held on Saturday, November 1, 2014 in Colorado National Monument, under the authority of a special use permit. Colorado Mesa University (CMU) is the permittee. Proceeds from the events benefit CMU Track & Cross Country scholarship program.
The event will start east of the intersection of South Camp Road and Monument Road (0.8 miles from the monument's east entrance) at 8:00 a.m. Runners will travel through the Grand Junction (east) entrance toward the Fruita (west) entrance over Rim Rock Drive with starts and finishes outside the monument boundary.
Rim Rock Drive is open during the hours of the marathon, 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., with these adjustments to provide for the safety of the 200 expected runners and other road users such as motorists and bicyclists:
- the eastbound traffic lane will remain open and Rim Rock Drive will be limited to one-way eastbound traffic. Eastbound traffic exiting the monument through the Grand Junction entrance may experience a delay of approximately 20 minutes.
- the westbound traffic lane will be reserved for marathon runners who will be restricted to using the westbound lane only. As the marathon progresses, the westbound lane will reopen for vehicle use by stages starting from the eastside.
- all facilities will remain open to the public including all scenic overlooks. Although vehicles will not be able to enter or exit the Serpents Trail parking area from 7:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m., the trail itself will remain open to hikers.
Traffic to/from Glade Park:
- Grand Junction to Glade Park traffic should plan to use Little Park Road between the hours of 7:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. This alternative is paved and only slightly longer.
- Glade Park to Grand Junction traffic can use either Little Park Road or Rim Rock Drive eastbound. Traffic traveling eastbound on Rim Rock Drive and exiting the monument through the Grand Junction entrance station may encounter a delay of approximately 20 minutes between 8:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
- Two-way travel along Rim Rock Drive between the Grand Junction entrance and the Glade Park turnoff (DS Road) will be restored at approximately 9:30 a.m.
Contact: Mark Davison, email@example.com, 970-858-3617 ext. 312.