|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Kate Cannon, 435-719-2101
The Mineral switchbacks and the White Rim loop road are under repair and will be re-opened late this month. Thereafter, additional road maintenance and repair will continue through the spring season along the White Rim road in Canyonlands National Park.
Canyonlands National Park is instituting a temporary day use permit system for the White Rim, Shafer, and Potash Roads within the park to improve safety and minimize damage while road work is underway.
Permits are required for day use from March 1 through May 31, 2011, and may be obtained in advance. Group size for day use is limited to 15 people and 3 motorized vehicles (including motorcycles).
Free permits are available at the following locations:
- Arches National Park Visitor Center
- Island in the Sky Visitor Center
- National Park Service Southeast Utah Group office at 2282 S. West Resource Blvd, Moab
- Moab Information Center, Center and Main, Moab
- Permits are also available for customers at Jeep rental businesses throughout Moab
To help make travel along the White Rim Road a safe and rewarding experience for everyone, visitors are asked to follow these guidelines:
- Use caution: the road is two-way and often one lane.
- Look ahead for on-coming vehicles: passing takes planning.
- Use established pullouts or slickrock to pass as needed: don’t pull off the road!
- Carry out all trash, even if it’s not yours. Share the road and treat everyone with the same respect and courtesy you expect.