Looking for a serene place to paddle? Mosquito Lagoon offers 156 miles of recreational opportunities. One things folks like to do is to kayak the lagoon. There are boat ramps on either side of the lagoon and in multiple areas outside of the seashore. You may choose to launch at the Apollo Beach 24 hour boat ramp. 2/3 of Canaveral National Seashore is in Mosquito Lagoon. Experience your park from a whole new perspective! Just a few minutes from shore and you can experience complete solitude. But before you put into the water, please plan for a safe trip. Here are some helpful tips to make the most of your outdoor adventure.
Tips for Kayaking Smart:
1. Check the weather before you go: wind direction and speed, the temperature and rain/lightening forecast.
2. Wear sunscreen or sunscreen clothing.
3. Follow boating rules such as having a U.S. Coast Guard-approved Type I, II or III life jacket and wear it. Bring a whistle.
4. Bring water, stay hydrated. Don't mix alcohol and boating.
5. Tell someone your paddle plan, i.e. where you are going and when you will be back.
6. Bring your cell phone in a dry bag.
7. Plan your route on a map. The mangrove islands are one giant maze if you don't know the local area. Stay in open areas if unfamiliar with the area.
#RecreateResponsibly #FindYourPark #sportsinparks