The historic shell mound, the foundation of the main house and the caretakers house, is 13 feet high and comprised of over 90 % quahog clam shells left as refuse by the Timucua. Evidence from the mound indicates that this mound was seasonally used as a clam processing station. The clams were mass harvested, smoked for preservation and packed for use at a later date. Artifacts such as projectile points, pottery sherds, and shell beads for necklaces were found in the mound during an archeological dig that was conducted in the 1990's. The mound, known as Snyder's Mound, dates as far back as 2,000 BCE (Before Common Era). The most inhabited time period was 800 CE - 1100 CE (Common Era).
Seminole Rest tells a story of the Timucua Indians, pioneer settlement and a preservation of cultures. With accounts from Spanish writings, as well as the science of archeology, we are able to connect the past to the present. The main house as well as the caretaker's home were constructed prior to 1888.
Last updated: November 20, 2020