Last updated: February 28, 2018
On April 24, 1958, at 11:30 am, a ceremony to dedicate Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area was held at the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, followed by a 2:30 pm ceremony at Coquina Beach. At the lighthouse ceremony a plaque was unveiled honoring the family of Henry Phipps (1839-1930) for the donation of 2700 acres of land.
Henry Phipps was a childhood neighbor and friend of Andrew Carnegie. He later became Carnegie's business partner in the Carnegie Steel Company. Phipps invested in real estate including large tracts of land on the Outer Banks where he established duck and goose hunting clubs.
Attending the ceremony were Raymond R. Guest, grandson of Henry Phipps, NPS Director Conrad Wirth, and Governor Luther Hodges. Raymond Guest served in the Navy during World War II and was a second cousin of Winston Churchill. He is pictured on the left with Governor Hodges.
Today, the dedication plaque hanges in the entrance way of the Double Keepers Quarters (Museum of the Sea) at Cape Hatteras Light Station.
Dedication Ceremony Program for Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area