Casa Grande Ruins National Monument provides the perfect outdoor setting to enhance classroom-based learning. You can visit on your own or have a ranger join you for an outdoor education program. All ranger-led education programs are curriculum-based (Arizona State Education Standards) and free of charge.
Free ranger-led field trips will begin in November 2022 and will only be offered on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, as staffing allows. Programming will be offered through May 2023, email to inquire about additional availability.
Field Trip Information:
- We allow a maximum number of 50 students per day. Staff is only available for 1 ranger-guided field trip per day.
- A minimum of one adult chaperone per five to seven students is mandatory. Each chaperone must supervise the students specifically assigned to them at all times.
- Field trips last approximately 1.5 - 2 hours. If staying for lunch, we have covered picnic ramadas to use with your students.
- Students will be participating in outdoor activities and will rotate through several learning stations.
How to Register:
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Requested program (ranger-led or self-guided)
- Grade level and # of students
- Preferred dates
Field Trip Offerings:
Mission: Resilience - Strengths of the Ancestral People (3rd - 4th grade - can be modified for all grade levels)
Rangers will lead an exploration of the daily life, strengths, and resilience of the people who lived in the Sonoran Desert over a thousand years ago. By exploring the strengths of the ancestral people, students will gain a greater self-awareness of their own unique strengths and resiliency. During the program, students will rotate through facilitated stations such as viewing the park film, grinding corn, building a shelter or irrigation canals, collecting fake saguaro cactus fruit and exploring prehistoric ruins, while engaging in mindful movement and mindfulness activities.
Standards: 3.SP1.2; 3.G2.1; 4.SP1.2; 4.G2.1; CCSS.ELA-Lit.SL.3.1,3.3,4.1,4.3; Social Emotional Learning Competencies
Self-Guided Field Trips:
If you are interested in visiting on your own, a ranger will be available to give your class a short orientation talk and provide free Junior Ranger activity booklets.
Last updated: January 3, 2023