Herring Cove Beach Bathhouse Grand Opening

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: June 28, 2013
Contact: George Price, 508-957-0701

Superintendent George Price announced that the Grand Opening for the new Herring Cove Beach Bathhouse facilities will be held on Thursday, July 11 at 3:00pm.The event will include music by Zoe Lewis and her Rubber Band, refreshments by Far Land Provisions and remarks.Parking fees will be waived for the Herring Cove parking lots starting at 2pm.

The Herring Cove Beach Bathhouse project started in the fall of 2012 with the demolition of the previous 1950's era concrete bathhouse constructed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.The concrete block house design was in response to the 1938 Hurricane and was intended to withstand coastal storms.The current design is also in response to storms, sea level rise and climate change as an adaptation approach.The structures are designed to sustain 150 mphwinds, are constructed on pilings to allow storm surge waves to pass underneath, and could be re-located in the future if erosion threatens the facility.

The Grand Opening will be an opportunity to celebrate this accomplishment of all who spent so much time and effort to make it happen in a very compact timeframe. The project cost approximately $5 million dollars. Funding for this project came from the Recreation Fees, allowed by the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act 2004, paid by visitors to all national parks. Each national park unit is allowed to keep 80% of their fees to support local staff and projects.The remaining 20% of the fees are deposited with the Washington Office.The funding for this project came from the nationwide 20% Recreation Fee account.

The bathhouse replacement project was directed by the Design & Construction Division of the Denver Service Center, NPS.Classic Site Solutions, Springfield, MA, was the general contractor.

The event is co-sponsored by Far Land on the Beach, Eastern National and the Friends of Cape Cod National Seashore.


Last updated: February 26, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

99 Marconi Site Road
Wellfleet, MA 02667


(508) 255-3421

Contact Us