Permits & Reservations

Group hiking in canyon


The Navajo Parks and Recreation Department (NPRD) office located near the entrance of the Cottonwood Campground issues backcountry permits for canyon tours and collects fees for overnight camping. Please contact NPRD at 928-674-2106 for more information.


If you plan on filming or hosting a special event (activities outside a regular visit) at Canyon de Chelly National Monument, please contact the Permit Coordinator at for more information. Your request may require you to submit an application, fee, and insurance certificate for consideration. Please allow 2-4 weeks for processing.

Please be advised that the park works with the Navajo Nation for filming activities; this may require additional requirements and fees. For more information, contact the Navajo Nation TV and Film Office at (928)871-7826.

A permit may be required for an event to:

  • maintain public health and safety;

  • protect environmental or scenic values;

  • protect natural or cultural resources;

  • allow for equitable allocation or use of facilities; or

  • avoid conflict among visitor use activities.

When is a permit needed for Still Photography?

Still photographers require a permit only when:

  1. the activity takes place at location(s) where or when members of the public are generally not allowed; or
  2. the activity uses model(s), sets(s), or prop(s) that are not a part of the location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities; or
  3. a park would incur additional administrative costs to monitor the activity.

How do I apply for a permit?

Permit applications are available online at link below. You should submit a completed application along with any applicable fee to the park as far in advance of your planned activity as possible. In addition, you should request a meeting with park staff if your proposed activity is unusual or complex. Early consultation with park staff will help move the process forward.

Are there other permit requirements?

You may be required to obtain liability insurance naming the United States as additionally insured in an amount commensurate with the risk posed to park resources by your proposed activity. You may also be asked to post a bond to ensure the payment of all charges and fees and the restoration of the area if necessary.

Permit Applications

Special Events - This application is for events such as weddings and large group events.

Commercial Filming and Still Photography - This application is for commercial filming and still photography.


The park receives inquiries about the use of drones in the park. Drones are not permitted within the boundaries of Canyon de Chelly National Monument. There is more information about the use of unmanned aircrafts under Laws & Policies.


Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 588
Chinle, AZ 86503


928 674-5500

Contact Us