Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a fee to enter the park?

No, the park is a non-fee area. Donations are appreciated and can be made at the visitor center.

Do I need a guide or backcountry permit for the North or South Rim Drives?

No, the North and South Rim Drives plus the White House Trail are self-guided activities you can do without a guide or backcountry permit. The rim drives and trail are open all year long.

Do I have to make reservations for the campground?

No, the Cottonwood Campground is managed by the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department (NPRD) and individual campsites are available first-come, first-serve. Please contact NPRD directly at (928)674-2106 for camping rates and availability. Keep in mind there is limited services in the winter.

Are pets allowed in the park?

Pets on a leash are welcome on the North and South Rim Drives and in the campground. Pets are not permitted down the White House Trail or on any canyon tours. Exceptions are made for service animals.

Can I drive off-road on my own?

No, the Navajo Nation has many dirt roads, but be mindful that these roads are for access to private residences or grazing areas. There are no public recreational areas for off-road vehicles, dirt bikes, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) or bicycles. There are no established areas in the park for off-road travel; travel into the canyon requires a guide and backcountry permit.

What should I know before visiting the Navajo Nation?

Please visit the website at for regulations regarding visiting other areas on the Navajo Nation. Note that rock climbing, base jumping or scattering of ashes are not permitted.

Indian Route 7 is not recommended to access the park because it is partially unpaved and unmaintained. GPS and cell phone services are unreliable.

Last updated: May 2, 2014

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 588
Chinle, AZ 86503


(928) 674-5500

Contact Us