Permits & Reservations

Group hiking in canyon


The Navajo Parks and Recreation Department (NPRD) office located near the entrance of the Cottonwood Campground issues backcountry permits for canyon tours and collects fees for overnight camping. Please contact NPRD at 928-674-2106 for more information.


Most special events in the park require a Special Use Permit, issued only after the park determines that the activity will not damage the park's resources; will not disrupt the visitors' experience, or is not against the purpose for which the park was established.

Events such as commercial filming and photography, weddings and large group events may be charged adminstrative fees, require liability insurance and security bond. Some events may even require compliance and clearance from the Navajo Tribal Preservation Office. Please CAREFULLY READ the information and submit a complete application packet 30 DAYS IN ADVANCE.

Special Events - This information and application is for events such as weddings and large group events.

Commercial Filming and Photography - This information and application is for commerical filming or photography.


The park receives inquiries about the use of drones in the park. There is more information about the use of unmanned aircrafts under Laws & Policies.

Last updated: July 9, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 588
Chinle, AZ 86503


(928) 674-5500

Contact Us