The Boxley Historic District includes the Villines cabins at the river near Ponca, AR.
About 1850, William and Rebecca Villines established a farm near the Buffalo at what is now the junction of Hwy 43 & Hwy 74 near Ponca. An exhibit panel describes the farm.
Their son James A., born in 1854, grew up to be known as “Beaver Jim”. His farmstead is just up the hill across the low water Ponca bridge. The cabin and a variety of outbuildings remain, built by Beaver Jim or added or changed by succeeding owners. For instance, Beaver Jim had a stone and log cellar as early as 1898 that was used to store fruits and vegetables. The concrete version in place today replaced his cellar. The concrete outhouse, built in the 1930s by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) replaced an earlier version.
Exhibit panels describe the buildings and life on the farm.
In the Jasper area of the park, take time to visit The Parker-Hickman Farmstead. Take Hwy 7 north of Jasper and turn at the sign for Erbie. The farmstead is a self-guided tour of an Ozark farm occupied for more than 100 years by 9 different owners.
This is possibly the oldest home here within Buffalo National River, built in the 1840s by Alvin and Elizabeth Park and Greenberry Parker who moved here from Tennessee. It is now known as the Parker-Hickman home, because the Parkers were the builders of the home and the Hickman’s were the final owners before the park.
The house reflects the changes that took place in the Ozarks over the years. Electricity and telephone arrived to the area in the 1940’s. Walls and ceilings were paneled in the 1960’s.
Several of the outbuildings were constructed after the Hickman’s bought this farm.
The original outhouse was replaced in the 1930s by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Mr. Hickman said it was the only government assistance they received during the Great Depression.
The exhibit panel maps the farm layout.
In the Tyler Bend area near St. Joe, AR an easy walk takes you to the Collier Homestead.
The Homestead Act of 1862 allowed vast amounts of the public domain to be claimed by private citizens and was an attempt to encourage westward expansion. A homesteader had only to be the head of a household and at least 21 years of age to claim a 160 acre parcel of land. The homesteader had 5 years to make improvements to make a living on the land.
Solomon “Sod” Collier, his wife Ida Mae and two of their seven children built the cabin and a life here. Sod and Ida Mae stayed until 1962.
Visit the "Ghost Town" of Rush near the Yellville/Buffalo Point area of the park.
Zinc was the only mineral actively mined. In 1985 the National Park Service restricted entrance to the mines because of concern over visitor safety. Steel mesh fencing and gates were erected around each accessible opening.
If Walls Could Talk: the Story of the Hicks PropertyClick on the link below to check out the digital reconstruction of the Hicks property that The University of Arkansas has created. The Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design created an outstanding website outlining the history associated with the Hicks family property that was established in Rush Valley in 1903. This interactive website includes photos, historical documents, and audio clips related to the store, hotel, and livery that the Hicks family operated.
Last updated: December 23, 2017