Special Use Permits

Special Park Use Permits are required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large. Additionally, such activities usually require some degree of management by National Park Service (NPS) staff to protect park resources and the interests of the general public. Special Use Permits enable the NPS to ensure that the natural and cultural resources of the park are protected and that the permitted activity does not interfere with other peoples' enjoyment of the park.

Examples of activities that may require a Special Use Permit are sporting events, festivals, weddings, and large group picnics.

Permit Applications

If you would like to apply for a Special Use Permit or have questions, please contact us.

Please send the completed application to:

Special Use Permit Coordinator
Big Thicket National Preserve
6044 FM 420
Kountze, TX 77625

All submissions must include a $200 application fee, payable by check or money order to the National Park Service. There may be additional charges for events that require NPS personnel for permit monitoring, public safety, traffic control, trash removal, or property damage.


Last updated: November 1, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

6044 FM 420
Kountze, TX 77625



Contact Us