Legal Animals for Hunting
- Hunters may harvest white-tailed deer, squirrel, rabbit, feral hog, and waterfowl.
Hunting Seasons and Hours
- The preserve follows the dates set by the State of Texas for archery season and general season for all game animals, including waterfowl.
- Hogs may be taken from the opening date of archery season until the last day of February in all hunting units except Lake Bayou.
- Waterfowl may be taken from the Lake Bayou Hunting Unit from the opening date of archery season until the last day of February, in accordance with state seasons.
- The preserve does not observe any other hunting seasons or allow the hunting of hogs from the end of February to the beginning of the fall archery season.
- Legal hunting hours are from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset, except in the Lake Bayou Unit where hunting is permitted from 30 minutes before sunrise until noon.
Legal Hunting Methods
- Air rifles may be used only to hunt squirrels.
- .17 and .22 caliber rim-fire rifles may be used only to hunt squirrels, rabbits, and hogs.
- Shotguns, muzzle-loading rifles, and archery are permitted for all game animals and hogs. Slugs and buckshot may be carried and/or used only during the general season and extended hog-only season.
Requirements for Hunters
- Hunters must carry their current Big Thicket hunting permit, State of Texas hunting license, and required State and/or Federal stamps or documents.
- All hunters born after September 1, 1971, and who are at least 9 years old must carry proof of their completion of a Hunter Education Training Course.
- Hunters 16 years and younger must be accompanied by a licensed hunter at least 17 years old who has passed hunter education.
- All hunters must wear at least 400 square inches of Hunter Orange or International Orange, except for waterfowl hunters when in their blinds.
- Hunters must carry out all trash, including empty shotgun shells. Field dressing of game is allowed.
- Hunters must return their Harvest Cards by April 1 in order to be eligible to hunt the following season, even if no animals were taken.