|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Carl S. Zimmerman, 410-629-6071
Berlin, Maryland - The following provides updated information regarding the re-opening of Assateague Island National Seashore in the aftermath of Hurricane Irene:
- All developed area campgrounds, including the Oceanside walk-in and Group sites, will be fully open as of noon Friday, 9/2/2011.
- The South Ocean Beach Day Use area will re-open for use Saturday morning 9/3/2011.
- Little Levels, Pine Tree, Green Run and State Line Backcountry campsites will re-open at noon Friday, 9/2/2011. Tingles Island backcountry campsite will remain closed until further notice.
- Limited parking will be available at the Toms Cove Recreational Beach at the southern end of Assateague Island as of noon Friday, 9/2/2011.
- Limited bus transportation will be available September 2, 3, & 4 to shuttle visitors between the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center and beach access at the Swans Cove trailhead. Additional information is available at www.fws.gov/northeast/chinco/
For more information on Assateague Island National Seashore, visit www.nps.gov/asis