News Release

Assateague Island National Seashore Changes Entrance Fee to Meet Standardization Requirement

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: November 22, 2019
Contact: Liz Davis, 410-629-6087


Berlin MD- The National Park Service (NPS) will institute a modest increase for all parks that charge entrance fees. The additional funds will be used for infrastructure and maintenance needs to enhance the visitor experience. Effective January 1, 2020, entrance fees at Assateague Island National Seashore will be modified to align with standardized rates being implemented nationwide for similar national park areas.


In response to public comments on a fee proposal released in October 2017, there will be a modest increase for all entrance fee-charging parks, rather than the higher peak-season fees initially proposed only for 17 highly-visited national parks. 

 

The National Park Service has a standardized entrance fee structure, composed of four groups based on park size and type. Some parks not yet aligned with the other parks in their category will raise their fees incrementally and fully incorporate the new entrance fee schedule by January 1, 2020.


The fee schedule at Assateague Island National Seashore will change according to the following:
 

  Per Vehicle Per Person Per Motorcycle Park Specific
Annual Pass
Current $20 $10 $15 $40
Jan 1, 2020 $25 $15 $20 $45

A 7-day pass to the park will be $25 per vehicle, $20 per motorcycle, an annual park pass will cost $45, individuals will be charged $15 per person when entering by commercial vehicle. An entrance pass provides seven consecutive days of access to the National Seashore and the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge in Virginia. The park annual pass provides twelve months of access from the month of purchase.  There will be no increase to camping fees or Oversand Vehicle Permit fees as part of this change.

 

Additionally, free annual passes are available for active duty uniformed military and for 4th grade students under the “Every Kid Outdoors” program. Access Passes are free lifetime passes for individuals with a permanent disability. The annual Senior Pass remains $20. The price of the annual America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass and Lifetime Senior Pass remain at $80. 

 

Revenue from entrance fees stays in the National Park Service and helps ensure a quality experience for all who visit. Here at Assateague Island National Seashore, at least 80 percent of entrance fee revenue stays in the park and are devoted to spending that supports the visitor. The other 20 percent of entrance fee income will be shared with other national parks for their projects.

 

National parks have experienced record breaking visitation, with more than 1.5 billion visitors in the last five years. Throughout the country, the combination of an aging infrastructure and increased visitation has put a strain on park roads, bridges, campgrounds, waterlines, bathrooms, and other visitor services and led to a $11.6 billion deferred maintenance backlog nationwide.

 

Assateague Island National Seashore has had an entrance fee since 1971. The current rate of $20 per vehicle or $15 per motorcycle has been in effect since 2015. The park is one of 112 National Park Service sites that charge an entrance fee, the other 307 national parks will remain free to enter.



Last updated: November 23, 2019

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

7206 National Seashore Lane
Berlin, MD 21811

Phone:

(410) 641-1441

Contact Us