Keep these tips in mind before you leave home as well as on the trail to make for an enjoyable outdoor experience during fire season!
- Before you go, check with public land management agencies for fire restrictions or area closures. Check out current National Park Service alerts.
- Plan ahead and prepare. Prepare a trip plan, let someone else know where you are going, sign in at the trailhead, know your route and be sure to know how to get out! For more information on Trip Planning, check out this guide.
- Check the forecast before you go. While recreating, watch for sudden changes in the weather or changing weather conditions. For example, if you see or hear a thunderstorm approaching, consider leaving the area.
- If you use a campfire, make sure it is fully extinguished before leaving the area - be sure it is cold to the touch. Learn more about campfire safety.
- If you are using a portable stove, make sure the area is clear of grasses and other plants that could easily catch fire. Prevent stoves from tipping and starting a fire.