Permits & Reservations

On This Page Navigation


Do You Need a Reservation?

No! We are a fee-free and reservation-free site. Please check our current conditions page and our social media accounts for up-to-date information about potential severe weather closures.

During the winter, snow storms and blizzards often force road closures in the surrounding areas.

Do You Need a Permit?

Per 36 CFR §1.6, there are a number of activities that require a permit and special permission from the Superintendent. All of these involve significant potential impacts on other visitors' use and enjoyment of the monument. Or they may impact our fragile, irreplacable resources.

Inquiries about special use activity requirements and permit applications may be made by contacting:

Agate Fossil Beds National Monument
301 River Road
Harrison, NE 69346
telephone (308) 665-4113

Non-exclusive list of activities that require a permit:

  • §2.4(d) Carry or possess a weapon, trap, or net (excluding legal firearms)
  • §2.5(a) Specimen collection (Take plant, fish, wildlife, rocks or minerals)
  • §2.10(a) The following camping activities:
    • Camping in association with a special event or public gathering for which a permit has been issued pursuant to §2.50 or §2.51. Note: Camping without a permit is prohibited on federal land within the boundaries of the park.
  • §2.12 Audio Disturbances:
    • (a)(2) Operating a chain saw in developed areas
    • (a)(3) Operation of any type of portable motor or engine, or device powered by a portable motor or engine in non-developed areas
    • (a)(4) Operation of a public address system in connection with a public gathering or special event for which a permit has been issued pursuant to §2.50 or §2.51.
  • §2.17 Aircraft & Air Delivery:
    • (a)(3) Delivery or retrieval of a person or object by parachute, helicopter or other airborne means
    • (c)(1) Removal of a downed aircraft
  • §2.37 Soliciting or demanding gifts, money goods or services (Pursuant to the terms and conditions of a permit issued under §2.50, §2.51 or §2.52)
  • §2.38 Explosives:
    • (a) Use, possess, store, transport explosives, blasting agents
    • (b) Use or possess fireworks
  • §2.50(a) Conduct a sports event, pageant, regatta, public spectator attraction, entertainment, ceremony, and similar events
  • §2.51(a) Public assemblies, meetings, gatherings, demonstrations, parades and other public expressions of views
  • §2.52(c) Sale or distribution of printer matter that is not solely commercial advertising
  • §2.60(b) Livestock use
  • §2.61(a) Residing on federal lands
  • §2.62 Memorialization:
    • (a) Erection of monuments (Requires approval from Regional Director)
    • (b) Scattering ashes from human cremation
  • §3.3 Use of a vessel
  • §5.1 Advertisements - (Display, posting or distribution.)
  • §5.2(b) Sale of intoxicants on private lands.
  • §5.3 Engaging in or soliciting any business (Requires a permit, contract or other written agreement with the United States, or must be pursuant to special regulations).
  • §5.5 Commercial Photography
    • (a) Still photography of vehicles, or other articles of commerce or models for the purpose of commercial advertising.
  • §5.7 Construction of buildings, facilities, trails, roads, boat docks, path, structure, etc.
  • §6.9(a) Operation of a solid waste disposal site

Inquiries about special use activity requirements and permit applications may be made by contacting Superintendent, Agate Fossil Beds National Monument, 301 River Road, Harrison, NE 69346. (telephone (308) 668-2211, fax (308) 668-2318).

For more information about policies and regulations specific to Agate Fossil Beds, check out our Superintendent's Compendium.

Commercial Filming

Changes to Commercial Filming Permits on Park Land

On January 22, 2021, the US District Court for the District of Columbia issued a decision in Price v. Barr determining the permit and fee requirements applying to commercial filming under 54 USC 100905, 43 CFR Part 5, and 36 CFR Part 5 are unconstitutional. The National Park Service is currently determining how this decision will be implemented.

Following the recent court decision, the National Park Service will not be implementing or enforcing the commercial filming portions of 43 CFR Part 5 until further notice, including accepting applications, issuing permits, enforcing the terms and conditions of permits, issuing citations related to permits, or collecting cost recovery and location fees for commercial filming activities.

As regulations regarding commercial filming permits are being reassessed, those interested in commercial filming activities on land managed by the National Park Service are encouraged to contact the park directly for more information about filming in the park and to discuss how to minimize potential impacts to visitors and sensitive park resources.

Do I need a permit to film?

Currently, the National Park Service is not issuing commercial filming permits, but is in the process of evaluating how best to regulate filming activities that affect visitors and park resources. All applicable laws and regulations governing activities and public use in parks still apply, including park hours and areas open and closed to the public. Videographers, filmers, producers, directors, and other staff associated with commercial filming are reminded that rules and regulations that apply to all park visitors still apply to filming activities even if no permit is needed for their activity. Check with the park staff for more information on closures, sensitive resources, and other safety tips.

Are filmers still required to pay fees to film in parks?

As of January 22, 2021, the National Park Service is no longer collecting application or location fees, or cost recovery for filming.

Still Photography

When is a permit needed?

Price v. Barr had no impact on how the National Park Service regulates still photography, so there are no changes in how the National Park Service regulates that activity. Still photographers require a permit only when:

  1. the activity takes place at location(s) where or when members of the public are generally not allowed; or
  2. the activity uses model(s), sets(s), or prop(s) that are not a part of the location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities; or
  3. a park would incur additional administrative costs to monitor the activity.

Special Use Permits

Special Use Permit Short Form (1MB .docx)
Special Use Permit Long Form (1MB .docx)

Last updated: September 12, 2021

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

301 River Road
Harrison , NE 69346


308 665-4113

Contact Us

Stay Connected