Special Use Permits

A Special Use Permit (SUP) is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large and for activities that require some degree of management by the National Park Service in order to protect park resources and the public interest. In areas accessible only by trail, groups are limited to 20 people or fewer.

Activities and events that require Special Use Permits include:

  • Stationary events at a single location for over 30 participants, such as picnics and family reunions

  • Events involving over 20 participants on hiking trails, bike paths, carriage roads, and motor roads, such as walk-a-thons, running and bicycling events, motorcycle rides

  • Memorialization, such as scattering of ashes
    • Permit application fee is not required for this activity

  • Weddings with more than 10 participant
  • Sports events, public spectator attractions, pageants

  • First Amendment activities with more than 25 participants

  • Military operations

In the Schoodic Peninsula, Special Use Permits are additionally required for:

  • Events with more than 15 participants, at locations other than Frazer Point
  • Events at Frazer Point with more than 30 participants

This is because the Schoodic District is managed to provide greater opportunities for solitude (Schoodic GMP, 2006). Events on the Schoodic Education and Research Center campus do not require a permit. For more information about hosting group events on the campus, please contact Schoodic Institute at 207-288-1337.

Miscellaneous Activities

Other activities may require permits if there is the potential for interference with visitor use, congestion of highly visited areas, or possible impacts on park resources.

How to Apply for a Special Use Permit
  1. Download an application: Special Use Permit
  2. Carefully read all special instructions listed on the application form.
  3. A completed application must be accompanied by an application fee of $100 for filming or $75 for all other activities in the form of a cashier's check or money order made payable to the National Park Service. The application fee is non-refundable unless it is determined that your event does not require a Special Use Permit.
  4. Mail completed applications to:

Acadia National Park
Attn: Special Use Permit Coordinator
PO Box 177
Bar Harbor, ME 04609

Last updated: October 8, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 177
Bar Harbor, ME 04609


207 288-3338

Contact Us