Prohibited Access Points
Buses, motor coaches, or other motor tour vehicles are prohibited from entering onto and exiting from the Park Loop roadway or entering onto any other Acadia National Park area located on Mount Desert Island from the following roadways or routes:
- West Street Extension
- Ledgelawn Avenue
- Harden Farm Road
- Otter Cliffs Road (emergency exit only)
- Ocean Drive (Schooner Head Road)
- Stanley Brook Road
- Jordan Pond Road
While operating within the park, buses, motor coaches, or other motor tour vehicles are restricted to paved road surfaces and paved parking lot surfaces. Travel on unpaved surfaces, fire roads, etc., is prohibited with the exception of the gravel access road necessary to access Wildwood Stables.
Height, Length, and Weight Limits
Many park roads feature historic underpasses constructed lower than conventional underpasses. Taller vehicles will not fit under the historic bridges. Vehicle weight restrictions are based upon the load-bearing limit on the historic bridges.
- The Park Loop Road is closed to vehicles taller than 12’0" from Fabbri Picnic Area to Wildwoods Stables. The Route 3 bridge over the Park Loop Road near Blackwoods Campground is 11’8" in the right lane and 12’0" in the left lane. Vehicles over 11’8" must drive in the left lane while passing beneath this overpass; please use caution.
- The Park Loop Road is closed to vehicles taller than 12’2" from Sieur de Monts to the entrance station.
- Stanley Brook Road is closed to vehicles taller than 10’4".
- Fish House Road is closed to vehicles taller than 11’6".
- Duck Brook Road is closed to vehicles taller than 12’4".
- Bass Harbor Head Road is closed to buses longer than 20 feet and to trailers.
- The southern end of Schooner Head Road is closed to trailers and vehicles longer than 20 feet.
- Buses are prohibited on Sargent Drive (Town of Mount Desert regulation).
Tour bus weights are limited to 27 tons GVW, in accordance with Maine regulations.
Please plan your route carefully. If damage to a bridge occurs, the offending vehicle will be cited and the park will seek restitution for damages to the historic bridge.
Jordan Pond House
- Tour buses are restricted to the left side of the entrance circle at Jordan Pond House.
- No more than two tour buses shall occupy this area at one time.
- If there are two buses in the specified area, additional buses are prohibited from entering the entrance circle.
- The right lane is reserved for the Island Explorer ONLY.
- Tour bus stays at Jordan Pond House shall be no longer than thirty (30) minutes unless a reservation has been made prior to arrival.
- Excessive engine idling is prohibited.
Entrance fees are applicable and shall be in accordance with current regulations for commercial tour bus operations. The driver of any vehicle operating under the authority of this permit shall be responsible for paying applicable entrance fees to the National Park Service at the Sand Beach Entrance Station, Hulls Cove Visitor Center, Bar Harbor Village Green, or Thompson Island Information Center.
Safety and Environmental Information
Stopping or parking in an area that could create an impediment to vehicular movement (especially emergency vehicles) or endanger pedestrian traffic is prohibited.
Bus or other tour vehicle engines are to be turned off as soon as unloading passengers is complete. No vehicle shall be left unattended with its engine running.