Your Fees At Work

Although our congressionally authorized budget helps cover the costs of preserving parks like Acadia National Park, they do not cover all of the operating costs associating with millions and millions of visitors who drive park roads, flush park toilets, and use park services annually. As expenses to maintain and staff the parks rise each year, government funding is unable to keep up.

The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA) allows the NPS to collect and retain revenue and requires that fee revenue be used to enhance the visitor experience. At least 80 percent of the money stays in the park where it is collected, and the other 20 percent is used to benefit parks around the nation that do not collect fees.

Check out some of the project below to see how your entrance fees support Acadia National Park.

  • Maintain and rehabilitate park carriage roads and hiking trails
  • Maintain and repair campgrounds, buildings, and picnic areas
  • Maintain and repair paved roads and parking areas
  • Improve park accessibility for people with disabilities
  • Operate and maintain the Island Explorer bus service
  • Provide unique interpretive programs
  • Support and maintain exhibits
Loading results...

    Last updated: June 2, 2023

    Park footer

    Contact Info

    Mailing Address:

    PO Box 177
    Bar Harbor, ME 04609


    207 288-3338

    Contact Us