Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
Lake Superior, WI
Along windswept beaches and cliffs, visitors experience where water meets land and sky, culture meets culture, and past meets present. The 21 islands and 12 miles of mainland host a unique blend of cultural and natural resources. Lighthouses shine over Lake Superior and the new wilderness areas. Visitors can hike, paddle, sail, or cruise to experience these Jewels of Lake Superior.
National Scenic Trail
A mere 15,000 years ago during the Ice Age, much of North America lay under a huge glacier. Mammoths, saber tooth cats and cave lions roamed the earth! Some of the best evidence of this glacier is found in Wisconsin such as the state’s many lakes, river valleys, gently rolling hills, and ridges. The nearly 1,200 mile Ice Age National Scenic Trail, established in 1980, traces the glacier's edge.
National Scenic Trail
Seven States-New York to North Dakota , MI,MN,ND,NY,OH,PA,WI
From New York to North Dakota, you're never far from a great outdoor adventure. When completed the trail will be the longest continuous hiking trail in the United States. The trail links scenic, natural, historic, and cultural areas across seven states allowing visitors to experience a variety of northern landscapes. Come and experience your America, at a walking pace.
National Scenic Riverway
Saint Croix Falls, WI,MN
The St. Croix and Namekagon Rivers offer 255 miles of clean water gliding or rushing past a lush green landscape, with glimpses of human presence. Choose to canoe and camp amid the Northwoods, or boat and fish surrounded by wooded bluffs and historic towns. This river corridor provides bountiful scenic views and a haven for wildlife near a major metropolitan area. Plan a visit!
By The Numbers
- 2 national parks
- 320,027 visitors to national parks (in 2013)
- $29,300,000 economic benefit from national park tourism (in 2013) »
- 2,280 National Register of Historic Places listings »
- $667,161,557 of rehabilitation projects stimulated by tax incentives (since 1995) »
- 13,018 hours donated by volunteers »
- 18 National Natural Landmarks »
- 42 National Historic Landmarks »
- $76,563,525 in Land & Water Conservation Fund grants (since 1965) »
- 3,226 acres transferred by Federal Lands to Parks for local parks and recreation (since 1948) »
- $30,945,909 in historic preservation grants (since 1969) »
- 70 community conservation and recreation projects (since 1987) »
- 778 places recorded by heritage documentation programs »
- 800,050 objects in national park museum collections »
- 7 threatened and endangered species in national parks »
- 266 archeological sites in national parks »
- 68 Certified Local Governments »
- 1 Teaching with Historic Places lesson plan »
- 4 Discover Our Shared Heritage travel itineraries »
- Download the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/13.