Verkamp's Visitor Center
A short walk east of the El Tovar Hotel and the Hopi House, Verkamp's Visitor Center is located in one of the canyon's oldest buildings. The facility features:
At the Information Desk, National Park Service rangers and Grand Canyon Association staff will answer any questions you may have.
The Exhibit Area
A walking history timeline on the floor leads visitors through the exhibits on a tour of the important moments in local, national and international history.
Verkamp Family History
John Verkamp headed to the developing South Rim in 1898. He set up a tent and sold souvenirs to the few people who made the long stagecoach trip to the rim. Not happy with the volume of business, at the end of the summer he sold his inventory to one of the hotel operators and went back to Flagstaff.
January 31, 1906 $4.98 A good day.
So recorded John Verkamp in the ledger for his first day of business in the new store on the South Rim of Grand Canyon. After such a promising start, Verkamp's Curios would continue operations for more than a century.
Service FirstThe Verkamps built their business on service to their guests, service to their employees, and service to their community.
The Verkamps bought from some of the same Native American artisans for 25 to 50 years. All employees received training to explain the history and meaning of sales items, believing that an informed guest was a pleased buyer.
For decades the Verkamp family was involved in the South Rim community They were instrumental in developing the Grand Canyon School and continued to offer their committed support.
The Shrine of the Ages and community library also received assistance from the family. A Verkamp was a charter member of the Grand Canyon Rotary Club. The Boy Scouts received much support from the family.
For decades the Verkamp family operated the Verkamp's store as a concession permitted by the National Park Service. When their contract last came up for renewal, the Verkamps chose not to compete for a new one. The National Park Service purchased the building and opened it in November 2008 as a visitor center and Grand Canyon Association bookstore.