Legacy: Visit a Related Park
The following National Park Service sites share history with the topics presented in Legacy. Visit their websites for information about Sesquicentennial commemoration events and more.
- Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site (KS)
- Cane River Creole National Historical Park (LA)
- Frederick Douglass National Historic Site (DC)
- George Washington Carver National Monument (MO)
- Little Rock Central High School National Historic Site (AR)
- Nicodemus National Historic Site (KS)
- Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial (CA)
- Selma to Montgomery National Historic Trail (AL)
- Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site (AL)
The National Park Service commemorates a defining event in our nation's history and its legacy in the fight for civil rights. Join us.
50 years after the bloodiest battle in U.S. history, on the eve of World War I, the fields of Gettysburg saw the largest reunion of former foes.More »
In 1861, the federal budget was $80 million with $36 million for defense; in 1865, the budget was $1.3 billion with defense spending at $1.2 billion.