Apply Online for the 2014 High Use Season Multi-Day River Permit Lottery
Starting December 1, 2013 through January 31, 2014 , boaters can apply for the lottery for the 2014 high use season multi-day river permits through Recreation.gov. More »
Ely Creek Backcountry Campsites Closed
The Ely Creek backcountry campsites located along the Jones Hole Trail have been closed until further notice due to bear activity in the area. More »
What steps are being implemented in order to preserve the quarry wall?
1) By having the new building that is very structurally safe, DNM hopes to prevent any more cracks from forming on the quarry wall. This will in time help to preserve the quarry wall from any further slumping of rock or major fracturing. Volumetric soil monitoring will also be done outside the building to provide information on changes that may impact the indoor exhibit stability.
2) Through the combined work of the paleontology staff at DNM and outside professional fossil conservators, the quarry wall will be closely monitored. Each bone on the quarry face will be photographed to visually document the pattern of cracks present, how bad (major/minor) the cracks are, and if cracks had been previously repaired. This will help park paleontologists and engineers monitor crack growth through the years to come.
3) This photographic documentation of the bones will be used by paleontologists and engineers to develop a long-term monitoring strategy to identify changes in quarry conditions.
4) Bones and cracks can start to be systematically and periodically repaired.
5) To preserve the wall into the future, paleontologists and engineers will use an array of materials, techniques, and equipment (preservatives, consolidants, crack monitors, temperature and humidity data recorders, etc.) to recognize and repair any damage as it occurs.
Did You Know?
Dinosaurs were a remarkably successful group of animals. They lived on the Earth for 160 million years. The fossils at Dinosaur National Monument represent only 10 of the many dinosaur species that existed during that long era.