Are YOU Eligible?
Some lands within Wrangell-St. Elias are designated as National Park, while others are designated as National Preserve. The eligibility requirements for hunting in the park are different from those in the preserve.
To subsistence hunt and fish in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park you must:
- Be an Alaskan resident (have lived in the state for 12 consecutive months with intent to remain indefinitely).
- Make your primary permanent home in a specific resident zone community, live within the National Park, or have a subsistence eligibility permit (13.440 permit).
- Possess a State of Alaska resident license for hunting (not required for subsistence fishing).
- Comply with all season and harvest limits.
- Comply with all required state and federal permits, and harvest tags.
Resident Zone Communities
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park has 23 resident zone communities: Chisana, Chistochina, Chitina, Copper Center, Dot Lake, Gakona, Gakona Junction, Glennallen, Gulkana, Healy Lake, Kenny Lake, Lower Tonsina, McCarthy, Mentasta Lake, Nabesna, Northway, Slana, Tazlina, Tanacross, Tetlin, Tok, Tonsina, and Yakutat.
Resident zone community boundaries have been established for the communities of Dot Lake, Healy Lake, Northway, Tanacross and Tetlin. Copies of the boundary maps are provided below:
To be eligible for a subsistence eligibility permit (13.440 permit) you must be a rural Alaskan resident and demonstrate that you have (or belong to a family that has) a history or pattern of using the National Park for subsistence purposes at the time ANILCA was passed (1980) without the use of an aircraft for access. The permit is valid for all permanent residents of your household providing you continue to live in a rural community. To apply, email the Subsistence Coordinator at email@example.com.
In addition to all the above, you must also live in a community or area that has a customary and traditional use determination for the area and species you wish to hunt or fish. These determinations are indicated in the Federal Subsistence hunting regulations.