Pets are welcome at Wind Cave National Park within the following limits.
At all times pets must be restrained on a leash no longer than six feet in length. Leashes protect dogs from becoming lost and from potential encounters with wildlife as well as protecting park wildlife and plants.
- Pets should not be left unattended. Summer sunshine poses a threat to pets left in vehicles. On a sunny day, even in temperatures as low as 60° F, temperatures inside a vehicle can reach dangerous levels. On an 85-degree day the temperature inside a car –even with the windows cracked –can reach over 100 degrees within 10 minutes.
- Pet owners are responsible for removing pet waste from campgrounds, picnic areas, parking lots, roads, and other developed areas.
- Pets are not permitted in the back-country areas of the park. This includes areas near park roadways and most of the trails –see below for exceptions.
Where CAN I go with my pet?
Where CAN'T I go with my pet?
- Ranger-led programs and Cave Tours
- Public buildings, including the visitor center
- The backcountry or trails except those listed above
Pet Boarding in Hot Springs and Custer:
Fall River Veterinary Clinic 605-745-3786 Must have proof of vaccinations.
Mutt House 605-745-3999 Pets must be dropped off before 11:00 AM.
Anise's Personal Touch Pet Care 605-745-7455
For more information about pet rules and regulations at Wind Cave, read the 36 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) 2.15 in the Superintendent's Compendium.