|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Benjamin Hayes, 671-333-4051
Experience Your National Park in July!
Biba Liberation! Join park rangers for a variety of fun and interesting interpretive programs. Rangers will lead special guided tours of park sites and share personal stories of those who fought in the Pacific War. Programs provide visitors an opportunity to learn about park resources, the people we honor, and how events of the past still influence us today. For specific program details, please see the schedule of events below.
Mark your calendar, new visitor center exhibits will open on Liberation Day, Saturday, July 21! The new exhibits utilize state of the art technology including video and laser map programs, interactive digital media stations, and feature gripping personal stories from war survivors. The T. Stell Newman Visitor Center is open daily 9 am to 4:30 pm and is located in Sumay in front of the Naval Base Guam main gate.
All events are free and open to the public. Most programs occur outdoors at different locations and vary in length from thirty minutes to two hours. Hikes are moderate and short but traverse slippery and steep terrain, so wear appropriate footwear and attire. Visitors are encouraged to bring water, umbrellas, and insect repellant. In the event of inclement weather, programs may be delayed or cancelled. For detailed information or if you have questions on specific programs, call 333-4050.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS FOR THE MONTH OF JULY
· Visitor Center Exhibits Open July 21 - Guam's history and natural resources are presented to you like never before. Starting on Liberation Day, discover our interactive exhibits that feature stories from veterans and memories from our Man'amko.
· Sunday, July 1 - 2 pm at Apaca Point - "Ranger's Choice" - Discover hidden fortifications along the Agat beach and learn about the Japanese struggle to defend Guam. (30 minutes)
· Saturday, July 7- 2 pm at Asan Beach - "The Land Remains" - Meet at the restrooms and explore the history of Asan Ridge through a fun hike. (45 minutes)
· Sunday, July 8 - 2 pm at Ga'an Point: - "Coconut Tree, Tree of Life" - Have you heard about the Chamoru Trongkon Niyok? Find out about the legend of the coconut tree as well as its hundreds of practical uses, importance during World War II, and the nasty rhino beetle that threatens to destroy it. (30 minutes)
· Saturday, July 14 - 2 pm at Asan Bay Overlook - "Prisoners" - By October 1941, all military dependents on Guam had been evacuated, except for one. Hear the story and challenges of a young mother and five navy nurses who helped each other when war came to Guam. (30 minutes)
· Sunday, July 15 - 2 pm at Piti Guns - "Guns Hike" - Meet at the Veterans Cemetery on Route 6 and we'll caravan to the hiking trail that leads to three Japanese coastal defense guns above Piti. (45 minutes)
· Friday, July 20 - 9 am at Asan Bay Overlook - "Wreath Laying" - The memorial at Asan Bay Overlook is a place to reflect on the tragedies of war. In partnership with the Asan Mayor's Office, join us as we remember the Chamorros who suffered and died during the Japanese occupation and the American servicemen who died in the battle to liberate Guam. (60 minutes)
· Saturday, July 21 - 9 am at Visitor Center - "Official Exhibit Opening" - This is your first chance to explore our new museum exhibits! Tour the interactive displays, games, laser programs, and experience Guam's history and resources like never before. Visitor center closes at 4:30 pm.
· Sunday, July 22 - 10 am and 2 pm at Visitor Center - "Buried Beneath" - Join park staff and guests for a special interpretive performance that provides greater insight to some of the museum's new content. Learn how the people of the Marianas struggled for identity as war ravaged their homeland. (40 minutes)
· Saturday, July 28 - 2 pm at Visitor Center - "Through the Pacific War" - Here's your chance to explore our new museum exhibits with a park ranger. Tour the interactive displays, games, and laser programs, and stay for a special presentation of one of the most unique exhibit features. (30 minutes)
· Sunday, July 29 - 2 pm at Visitor Center - "Through the Pacific War" - Here's your chance to explore our new museum exhibits with a park ranger. Tour the interactive displays, games, and laser programs, and stay for a special presentation of one of the most unique exhibit features. (30 minutes)