Winter Quarters

Built in 1803 By Job Routh as a small, three-room winter hunting cabin, Winter Quarters became the stately country home of Dr. Haller Nutt and his wife Julia, who were residents of Natchez, and also owners of the stately octagonal-shaped home, Longwood. Purchased in 1850 by Dr. Nutt, the plantation came to embrace more than 2,000 acres and was worked by a force of 300 slaves. Winter Quarters also boasted several cotton gins, a sawmill, milk house, barns, boat docks, smokehouse, machine shops, and a hospital. The Nutts were Union sympathizers, and Julia reportedly made her way to Milliken's Bend to implore General Grant to spare her house in exchange for feeding and quartering his troops.

Last updated: April 14, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

3201 Clay Street
Vicksburg, MS 39183

Phone:

(601) 636-0583

Contact Us