Pointe Coupee (Louisiana) Artillery, Company C
Monument and iron tablet located outside of Vicksburg National Military Park, on former park property in the City of Vicksburg, on the south side the Parkside Playhouse, southwest corner of North Frontage Road and Iowa Avenue. Originally attached to Brig. Gen. Albert Rust's Brigade, of Maj. Gen. Franklin Gardner's 3d Military District at Port Hudson, LA, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. The company was assigned to Brig. Gen. Abraham Buford's 2d Brigade, of Maj. Gen. William Wing Loring's Division, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Army of Vicksburg, and commanded by Capt. Alexander Chust.
At the beginning of the Vicksburg Campaign, Buford's brigade was at Port Hudson, LA, reorganized, and ordered to Tullahoma, TN, on or about 15 April 1863, but was recalled on 18 April 1863, and participated in the Battle of Champion Hill on 16 May 1863. The battery became detached from Gen. Loring's Division at Champion Hill and fell back to Vicksburg with Pemberton's Army where it remained for the duration of the siege. [Refer to Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XXIV, Part 1 - Reports, page 706, and to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume II, page 643 and Volume III, pages 783, 872, 964, and 1151.]