Hudson's Battery Mississippi Light Artillery [Pettus Flying Artillery]
Monument is located on Confederate Avenue, 50 yards south of the Texas Memorial (Park Tour Stop 13). This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. Seth M. Barton's 1st Brigade, of Maj. Gen. Carter L. Stevenson's Division, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Army of Vicksburg, and commanded by Lt. John R. Sweaney, Lt. Milton H. Trantham, and Lt. E. S. Watson (wounded). The battery was originally attached to Brig. Gen. Abraham Buford's 2d Brigade, of Maj. Gen. William Wing Loring's Division, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Army of Vicksburg, and commanded by Lt. Sweaney.
At the beginning of the Vicksburg Campaign, the brigade was at Port Hudson, LA, reorganized, and ordered to Tullahoma, TN, on or about 15 April 1863. At Jackson, MS, the battery was transferred to Brig. Gen. John Adams' 4th Military District, and remained in Jackson. On 18 May 1863, the unit was reassigned to Brig. John S. Bowen's garrison at Grand Gulf, and participated in the Battle of Port Gibson, MS. [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume II, pages 93, 96, 97, and 316; and Volume III, pages 785 and 964.]
Last updated: April 14, 2015