This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. George B. Cosby's 1st Brigade, of Brig. Gen. William H. (Red) Jackson's Cavalry Division, Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's Army of Relief, Department of the West, and commanded by Lt. Col. W.L. Maxwell. [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume III, page 1152.]
Gen. Jackson's division was ordered from the Department of Tennessee about 26 May 1863, and headquartered near Canton, MS, on 4 June 1863, and at Vernon, MS, on 13, 18, 21, and 23 June 1863.
Ballentine's Mississippi Cavalry
Last updated: April 14, 2015