5th Iowa Infantry
Monument located on Union Avenue 100 yards south of Pemberton Avenue. Also a marker designating the morning assault of 22 May 1863, located on the wooded ridge 1000' southeast of Tilghman Statue; a multiple iron tablet and a bronze tablet designating the afternoon assault of 22 May 1863, located on the east end of the Anshe Chesed Jewish Cemetery near Clay Street; a marker designating a sharpshooter's line 1300' east of the Mississippi Memorial in the woods and a marker designating the camp site on Union Avenue just south of Park Tour Stop #1. This unit was attached to Col. George B. Boomer's (killed 22 May 1863) 3rd Brigade of Brig. Gen'ls Isaac F. Quinby & John E. Smith's 7th Division, Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson's XVII Army Corps and was commanded by Lt. Col. Ezekiel S. Sampson; Later the regiment was attached to Brig. Gen. Charles L. Matthies Brigade of Brig. Gen. John McArthur's Provisional Division, Maj. Gen'l Cadwallader C. Washburn's XVI Army Corps (Detachment) on Maj. Gen'l William T. Sherman's exterior line and was commanded by Col. Jabez Banbury.
Last updated: April 14, 2015