48th Indiana Infantry
Monument is located on Union Avenue 100 yards south of the Minnesota Memorial. Also a marker designating the assaults of 22 May 1863, located on Confederate Avenue opposite the Jewish Cemetery and a marker designating a sharpshooter's line 1100' south-southwest of the Louisiana Memorial in the mowed bay between Union Avenue and Confederate Avenue This unit was attached to Col. John B. Sanborn's 1st Brigade of Brig. Gen'ls Isaac F. Quinby & John E. Smith's 7th Division, Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson's XVII Army Corps and was commanded by Col. Norman Eddy.
Last updated: April 14, 2015