2d Wisconsin Cavalry [7 Companies]

2d Wisconsin Cavalry
2d Wisconsin Cavalry Regimental Marker

NPS Photo

Multiple monument located on Grant Avenue, 100 yards east of Sherman Avenue. This unit was attached to Col. Cyrus Bussey's Cavalry Brigade on Maj. Gen'l William T. Sherman's Exterior Line, and commanded by Col. Thomas Stephens. Arriving at Snyder's Bluff on 13 June 1863, the detachment was ordered to Mechanicsburg (MS) on 26 June 1863. On 29 June 1863, Bussey was ordered to mass his command on Bear Creek, and particularly watch the lower Benton Road and the ford below Birdsong's Ferry. [Refer to pages 769 and 773, Volume 6 of the WPA Monumentation Survey Books.]

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

3201 Clay Street
Vicksburg, MS 39183

Phone:

(601) 636-0583

Contact Us