28th Iowa Infantry
Monument located on Union Avenue just beyond Park Tour Stop #15. Also a marker designating a sharpshooter's line located on Union Avenue just beyond Park Tour Stop #15; a marker designating the advanced sharpshooter's line located 300' east of Fort Garrott and a marker designating the camp site located on Union Avenue beyond Park Tour Stop #15. This unit was attached to Col. James R. Slack's 2nd Brigade of Brig. Gen. Alvin P. Hovey's 12th Division, Maj. Gen'ls John A. McClernand (relieved of command 19 June 1863) & Edward O.C. Ord's XIII Army Corps and was commanded by Col. John Connell.
Last updated: April 14, 2015