This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. Abraham Buford's 2d Brigade of Maj. Gen. William Wing Loring's Division, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Army of Vicksburg, and commanded by Col. James Jackson. The regiment was stationed at Fort Pemberton until 16 April 1863, then to Meridian, MS and then to the vicinity of Edwards, MS (24 April 1863), Bovina, and Champion Hill.
At Battle of Champion Hill, the regiment lost Lts. W.A. Isbell and T.S. Taylor. On 19 May 1863, the division arrived at Jackson, MS, and was attached to Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's Army of Relief, Department of the West. [Refer to Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XXIV, Part 1 - Reports, page 707 and Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume II, pages 250 and 643 and Volume III, page 1151.]