23rd Indiana Infantry
Monument located on Union Avenue 200 yards north of the Shirley House. Also a marker designating the assault of 22 May 1863, located in the woods north of Battery Hickenlooper off Old Jackson Road, a position marker designating the position of the regiment on 25 Jun 1863 on Old Jackson Road west of the loop at Park Tour Stop #3, a marker designating a sharpshooter's line located on the east side of Old Jackson Road near Park Tour Stop #3 and a marker designating the camp site located on Union Avenue beyond the Shirley House. This unit was attached to Brig. Gen'ls John E. Smith & Mortimer D. Leggett's(assumed command 3 June 1863) 1st Brigade of Maj. Gen. John A. Logan's 3rd Division, Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson's XVII Army Corps and was commanded by Lt. Col. William P. Davis.