Monument and iron tablet located on the hill on the east side of Confederate Avenue, in front of the Gen. Tracy bust. Also, iron tablets located outside Vicksburg National Military Park, on former park property in the City of Vicksburg, at the southwest corner of Washington and Clay Streets, and on the east side of Confederate Avenue approximately 0.2 miles south of Mulvihill Street.
This unit was attached to Col. Edward Higgins' River Defense Batteries, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Army of Vicksburg. Company A was commanded by Capt. S.C. Bains. On 23 May 1863, detachments of this battery were reassigned to positions in Col. Alexander W. Reynolds', Brig. Gen. Alfred Cumming's, and Brig. Gen. Stephen Dill Lee's sectors of the Vicksburg Perimeter Defensive Lines. [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume III, pages 784, 785, 968, and 1249.]
1st Mississippi Light Artillery, Company L [Vaiden's Mississippi Battery]