1st Illinois Light Artillery, Battery D
Monument is located on Old Jackson Road in front of the Shirley House; also an iron tablet located across Old Jackson Road south east of the Shirley House. This unit was attached to Maj. Charles J. Stolbrand's Artillery Command of Gen. John A. Logan's 3rd Division of Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson's XVII Army Corps and was commanded by Capt. Henry A. Rogers (killed 29 May 1863), Lt. George J. Wood and Capt. Frederick Sparrestrom. (Capt. William Cogswell commanded all 1st Illinois Light artillery.) [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume III, page 908, 909,961 & 962; also Gen. John A. Logan of Illinois].